 Space / 296
295  |  297
Subject:
6977 Arachnoid Star Base
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:18:17 GMT

You know, if there is one universal law I have seen for many, many years, it
is that heavily discounted Lego moves. It gets bought. I have seen the
Technic Space Shuttles get discounted, and they got snapped up, despite
being still costing almost as much as anything else on the shelves.

But I have seen one thing that defies this law and it shocks me to the very
core. A Space Lego set that can be put at 50% off and still not move, not
after weeks, even after the Space Shuttles are long gone.

The 6977 Arachnoid Star Base. Three times have I come in to the store. Three
times have I said to myself, "it's Space Lego, it's at half price, it's got
Space Lego parts in it, I'll buy it". Three times have I walked into the
Lego aisle at Toys'R'Us and resolutely walked up to the Arachnoid Star Base.
Three times have I looked at the set, picked it up in its box, held it in my
hands, turned it over, look at the designs on it, wondered what pieces were
hidden under its shell, and peered through the cellophane at the pieces
inside. It always ends the same. I walk away empty-handed.

Hideous. Utterly hideous.

If they were selling them at twenty dollars I would not buy them. If they
were selling them for five dollars I would think longer, but probably still
not buy them. If they were selling them for ONLY A DOLLAR, I would buy a
thousand of them and take them to Billund and sit down in front of the Lego
offices and build every single one of them and stage an alien invasion of
Lego HQ. If they asked me what I was doing, I would say, "we seek vengeance
against our creator". Then I'd be escorted off the premises.

I have had two dreams.

In the first dream, I see an Arachnoid Star Base before me. I open its
shell, and I see that the vehicle is larger on the inside than on the
outside. Its interior is studded with dark gray slopes, plates, dishes,
cones and all manner of wondrous and special pieces.

In the second dream, I see an Arachnoid Star Base before me. I open its
shell, and I see a giant Rock Raiders chassis piece.

Which dream foretells the future? Does the Arachnoid Star base hold
something within its vile exterior which a Space Lego builder would find
useful?

I await the answer of a great and mighty oracle. Barring that, anyone who's
bought one will do.

Paul
[My page: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shuttle/5168/  Update soon! ]