 Space / 29476
Re: Ice Planet Returns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:24:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, Steve Hickman wrote:
First, as a fellow Ice Planet zealot, I must applaud your work in the Ice Planet
theme.  Very cool, no pun intended. . .well maybe a little one.

Anyway, on to the critiques
I dig the mammoth, the wheels are very creative and I love the double quarter
dome windscreen construction.  I've actually used quarter domes in a similar
manner to get large windows with the wierd angled portions hidden inside of the
ship.  However, I am not a fan of the cannon on top, I've found that turrets
look better when they have bulk in the back of them:  they look more counter
balanced in this way

Your other heavy ground unit, the Ice Sat VV (55, 5+5, 5*5, Veve?) I'm not as
ecstatic about.  The back seems too sparse to match the meatiness of the front.

I'm not sure if I like the Satellite Tracker yet.  But, I can tell that I like
the antenna coming out of the satellite dish and the black power cords on the
support of the dish.

I love the new Ice Goblin, but not as much as the Goblin III, that one was
incredible.  I think the big change is that the legs look too scrawny here.

IG V, now this thing is awesome.  Seriously, I love it.  I want it.  The meteor
use is great.  The legs, antenna, guns, all top notch.  The feet, the feet!
Dang. . . I have to stop focusing on Cap-Ships, so I can build stuff like this.

The side panels at the odd angles are great on the Flare.  I think it could use
a hint more blue, however.

The coolest thing about the moonbase are all the other small craft you haven't
shown individually here.  Some of them look awesome.  I also dig the two down
angled corridors. . .nice.

I think you've got a great start here.  But, I was thinking, wouldn't this look
sort of odd sitting next to a regular moonbase section.  Unless of course, snow
fell in perfect linear lines that measure to exact squares. . .
Seriously though, I really like the stuff you've got going here.  So I'll go
ahead and ask for more.

Steve

Excellent critcism on all counts.  I am still tweeking everything a little bit
at a time and will have more photos soon.

As for the moonbase connection.  I figured I would have two more on either side
to make a better transition to blue and grey space.  We'll see what happens
there, I haven't worked it out yet.

Thanks
Pat "iceman" Bunn