 Space / 27638
Re: "Elefant" Hover Tank
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 23:50:11 GMT

   Leonard-

This is really neat! I definately like the main armament, and I like how you think “out of the box” in the design of this vehicle’s shape. Also, usually, successful military vehicles and equipment find themselves being utilized in a number of ways, and have a number of variants. I like the concept of the Elefant being able to have different weapons packages. Finally, It’s been mentioned in other posts about the glaring vulnerabilities of armored fighting vehicles with big honking windshields, so it’s also good to see that a good design can look cool without them.

I especially thought about the structural weakness when I was building the Kalashnikov. The bridge is under one big paradisa canopy, and I thought, you know, one missile and the whole ship is rendered useless (also cause 50% of the crew sat in the bridge).

Furthermore, I remember hearing how many fighter pilots today rely more on their scopes than on looking out the window to find their enemy. I think that in the future, clear canopies will be increasingly about aesthetics than military usefulness - especially as sensors become more and more developed. Especially in space.

Of course, the problem in lego building is the lack of “centering” that a canopy provides. It immeadiately shows where the minifig goes, and where the front is. One of the first comments I had showing a ‘in construction’ pics was “does a minifig fit in? where? - where’s the front?”

But thank you for the compliments, especially about “out-of-the-box”. I really try to think outside of the common aesthetical cliches when building. Espeically military designs. What struck me about the Mammoth was how Mladen totally re-thought the concept of a tank within new technological background that suspensor-hover tech will provide, and I tried to implement that same re-evaluation in the Elefant.

once again thanks -lenny