 Space / 26399
Re: WIP Images of a Convoy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:00:51 GMT

-snip-

Dan,

Overall, I think compositions like this are a good way to add interest to your renders. A few suggestions:
  • This may already be on your to-do list, but you could probably use some more, and perhaps more varied, spacing between your ships -- especially so that the ship in the right foreground of the “a” image doesn’t overlap the one behind it so much.

I know. Because this was a WIP picture, the scene was not finished. After making the render, I checked the image a few times to see what needed to be done. In my third WIP (non-rendered), the ships are safely spaced and the spacing varies.

  • Consider using the LGEO library of POV-Ray parts. See http://www.el-lutzo.de/lgeo/lgeo.html for the files if you need them (download both the complete library through update 14 and the update 15 file). There’s a check box for this feature in L3PAO. This will improve, for instance, the rendering of the 3x3x2 cones (part 6233) in the cruiser’s engines, where the quads are readily visible now. The LGEO version of this part appears in this render of mine http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=445555 -- note the smoother appearance, more like the real brick. LGEO also more realistically models the bumpy surfaces on slope bricks.

Will do.

  • Consider using the radiosity feature of POV-Ray to get more realistic lighting effects overall. The easiest way to do this is with Jeroen de Haan’s include files at http://www.digitalbricks.nl (click the “DIY” link). While his files provide a light background (which may be OK if you are going to replace the background in Photoshop) and a cloudy sky background, it’s fairly straightforward to modify them for a dark background or starfield. This will increase render time.

I’ll try to figure it out, but I doubt I can, unless the command is on L3PAO.

  • You can get interesting effects by placing lights and/or bright objects to simulate engine burns. The easiest way to do this is to place one or more bricks in the scene where you’d want a lights (e.g., aft of engines), note the coordinates where L3P places the brick in the POV code, then delete the brick and place a light at those coordinates. (If you want the light to be visible, you can use the looks_like directive to make the light look like the brick.)

Well, there’s a discussion at some Renderosity forums about helping me make the fusion fire trails from the engines. I have a crap-prototype done and I am waiting for some help at the forums for a better way to make them.

   You may have seen it already, but there’s also been a lot of additional discussion of lighting recently over at lugnet.cad.ray.

Happy rendering!

-- Tom

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll announce the final version here when it’s done.

-Dan