 Space / 25509
  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) He does have a point as far as capital ships are concerned. A Starfury is a one-man ship, and everything I've seen suggests that when a Starfury rotates in flight, the cockpit is pretty darn near the center of rotation, so the pilot can (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) Yup. But even a ship like the Hyperion could probably spin in place relatively quickly - certainly not at starfury-like speeds - but I imagine it could still do a 180 within a couple minutes. I strongly suspect, given the shape of Earthforce (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) The Hyperion (URL) lists> at about 1200 meters. Assuming the center of rotation is the exact center of the vessel, you're swinging 600 meters of steel around the point of rotation, and that's the critical point (after all, you want to make (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) -off subject- Not to burst anything, but I think the Hyperion is far less then 1200 meters, due to comparison with the Nova and Omega Destroyers. The Destroyers are 1717 meters long. B5tech.com lists the Hyperion at 1,025, which is slightly (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) Rick, I would have to agree with what happens on B5. Those crazy physics consultants .....always taking real physics into account! :] We're not talking about a Cooper Mini or anything. Something that big simply cannot turn on a dime (slow (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) That webpage was the only source I could think of that listed the Hyperion's length, but I was a bit doubtful of the total accuracy of everything. I kinda remember a TNG ep where it was mentioned that the Romulan Warbird (D'deridex) was about (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)