 Space / 25387
Re: The Derotatinator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:36:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Richie Dulin wrote:
   It’s like a pendulum, I guess, but in space (which is where the earth is), there’s no friction, so it just keeps going - backward and forward ad infinitum.

Pendulums don’t work in the absence of gravity, and they really only work with the largest gravitic pull from their location, whether it be from a single source or closely clustered combined sources. The moon exerts the largest gravitic pull on Earth, but the sun influences tides just as surely as the moon does (which is how we get “spring” and “neap” tides).

   The sea monkey explanation was a good one too, just not the right one. IMO.

Neither is yours, but the Sea Monkey explanation was at least funny. Every body of matter (even a single atom) has a gravitic pull that it exerts on every other body of matter. The moon’s gravity pulls at the water on earth the most, but the sun still has about half as much effect as the moon (gravity is reduced over distance), which is why the absolute highest possible tides are achieved directly under a full solar or lunar eclipse (gravity from both sun and moon combining), and the lowest possible tides occur at 90 degrees to an eclipse (because the super high tides are pulling more water away from the low-tide areas).

   The energy from the moon’s initial stopping started the tides! (You don’t think pendula just start, do you? That would be crazy!)

Actually, the inertial drag from the tides is much more likely to have caused the moon to settle into a 1 day-per-year rotation. If you don’t believe me, check this page. It is entirely possible that the moon arrived with just the right amount of rotation to produce a 1:1 day/year cycle, but highly unlikely. The mere presence of the moon (and the sun) is what causes the tides in the first place. Here’s one that will blow your mind: given enough time, Earth’s day will slow down enough to exactly match that of the moon, the same surfaces will always point towards each other, and significant tidal fluctuation will only be caused by the sun (since the lunar “tide” will be locked into place based on what part of Earth is directly under the moon). Of course, none of us will still be around to witness this spectacle, and indeed the sun might evolve into a red giant before the earth can stop spinning (in which case, noone will get to witness it, because the sun will engulf Earth’s orbit). If you want to read up on “tidal coupling”, go here.

   No wasted energy, because there’s no friction in space!

But there is on Earth. Where the tides occur. And there is between water molecules. Which is what the most noticable tides involve (though even Earth’s crust fluctuates a tiny bit due to tidal influences). And gravitational drag can have very similar effects to friction on a rotating body, and you better believe there’s some of that going on between Earth and Luna.

   Exactly. The earth spins, but does not explode. The moon does not spin, but does not explode because of the tides.

The moon does indeed spin (one lunar day per lunar year), and tides have nothing to do with it not exploding. Venus takes 243 Earth-days to complete one single axial rotation, and it doesn’t explode. I think you’ve either been the victim of a heavy dose of leg-pulling, or you’ve been taking science lessons from someone with more imagination than education.

   All revolving bodies explode if you stop them from moving, so the moon really, really wants to explode.... it’s just that the energy from the rotation went into the earth’s tides rather than the explosion.

They only have problems if you bring them to an abrupt stop, and that’s probably mostly when dealing with planets/moons that have liquid cores that will resist any rotational change to the planetary/lunar crust. Our moon is one solid hunk of rock (and quite small), and should weather an abrupt change much more easily than our planet would.

   That’s easy to explain - the oceans did not entirely freeze in the ice ages we’ve already had (I said “if we get another ice age here on earch, and the oceans freeze note the added emphasis).

An ice age that results in frozen oceans would be more likely to cause physical harm to Earth than the moon, as the oceans would be unable to flex with the tide. Fortunately, the tides themselves should do a good enough job of preventing the oceans from ever freezing solid, barring any catastrophic events like Earth being bumped out of its orbit (and if that happens, I doubt any of us would still be around long enough to enjoy ice-skating in the middle of the Pacific Ocean).