 Off-Topic / Fun / 10394
Re: The Derotatinator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 03:31:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Richie Dulin wrote:
   It’s like a pendulum, I guess, but in space (which is where the earth is), there’s no friction, so it just keeps going - backward and forward ad infinitum.

Pendulums don’t work in the absence of gravity, and they really only work with the largest gravitic pull from their location, whether it be from a single source or closely clustered combined sources. The moon exerts the largest gravitic pull on Earth, but the sun influences tides just as surely as the moon does (which is how we get “spring” and “neap” tides).

Note I said “there’s no friction”, not “there’s no gravity”. Of course there’s gravity in space - otherwise we wouldn’t know which way was up! The Capacitor-Relayed Open Charged Kinetics battery system is definitely below the main hull of the Derotatinator.

   The sea monkey explanation was a good one too, just not the right one. IMO.

Neither is yours, but the Sea Monkey explanation was at least funny.

Humour certainly does have its place in .space !

-snip-

   I think you’ve either been the victim of a heavy dose of leg-pulling, or you’ve been taking science lessons from someone with more imagination than education.

Someone was pulling my leg?

-snip-

   That’s easy to explain - the oceans did not entirely freeze in the ice ages we’ve already had (I said “if we get another ice age here on earch, and the oceans freeze note the added emphasis).

An ice age that results in frozen oceans would be more likely to cause physical harm to Earth than the moon, as the oceans would be unable to flex with the tide. Fortunately, the tides themselves should do a good enough job of preventing the oceans from ever freezing solid, barring any catastrophic events like Earth being bumped out of its orbit (and if that happens, I doubt any of us would still be around long enough to enjoy ice-skating in the middle of the Pacific Ocean).

That’s some great inspiration for future .space projects - a planet freezer and a de-orbitisor, possibly both combined into an ultimate mega weapon... I must get building!

Cheers

Richie Dulin

   Port Brique
Somewhere in the South Pacifique