 Off-Topic / Fun / 10395
Re: The Derotatinator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 03:26:31 GMT

I suspect that the water shifting from side to side counteracts the moon's
lack
of rotation (through the conservation of energy), thus stopping it
exploding.
Where the moon may run into trouble is if we get another ice age here on
earth,
and the oceans freeze.

*blink*

Wow.  Ok, It's taken me a long time to figure out just how I want to
approach this.

1)  the water shifting side to side - how do you think this happens if not
from
the gravitational pull of the moon - thus proving the moon has gravity,
nevermind the fact that men and space craft were able to land and walk and hop
around on it.

All mass has gravity, Gravity is a function of mass.  a pinhead floating in
space has a gravitational force, but the moons is a lot bigger and could
override the pinheads, thus pulling or "Attracting" it towards it. (Though
I'm sure flowers and chocolate would work as well  ;-)

2) counteracts the moon's lack of rotation?  through the conservation of
energy?
ok, first explain those, then you'll have to explain:

3) thus stopping it from exploding?

Ok, lemme make sure I'm following this:

water.  gobs and gobs of water, on a planet 240,000 miles away is just
shifting
back and forth, for no apparent reason on a fabulously regular tide system.
This water conserves energy - i don't know what energy, because moving
that much
water sounds like a gigantic WASTE of energy, to me... through that unknown
conservation - it counteracts the lack of a moon's rotation?  uhh... how?
what's to counteract when there isn't a rotation?  What would happen if there
*was* (and there is) a rotation - in your theorey?  it stops it from
exploding?
Why does the moon want to explode in the first place and what would the
tides
on earth have anything to do with preventing it?

It is, as you so correctly stated, a matter of conservation of energy.

you said:

"Where the moon may run into trouble is if we get another ice age here on
earth,
and the oceans freeze."

I don't know if you noticed, but you said "if we get another ice
age"  implying
we've had some before - which, as far as I know, we've have - a few of them.
Giant glaciers and what not.  Moon's still here, didn't explode then, right?

Now, here is where I'm going to throw some stuff out there.  I'm not 100%
sure on this, it comes from a discussion I was involved in a geology class
in my first year of university (no, I'm not a geologist, I was trying to
become an Engineer)

Now, apparently there are a lot of minerals on the earths surface that
should now exist so close to the top of the crust, they should appear a lot
deeper in the crust getting towards the bottom of the crust and the
magma.  now lava can deliver these minerals and there is evidence to
suggest that when that meteor/comet hit the earth (remember, the one that
killed the dinosaurs) it triggered massive volcanic eruptions on the other
side of the earth (again, conservation of energy).    This would account
for some of the appearance of afore mentioned minerals.

But it has been suggested that the Moon has no molten core, like the earth.
so what if the moon was a small planet, whose orbit crossed the earths and
it cracked open and spilt it's core over the earth.  this, of course, would
have happened whilst the planets were quite young so that the earth could
recover and stay round(ish) and the moon would bounce off (or what was left
of it) and become trapped in an orbit around earth and reform into a sphere.

so the moon has already "exploded" and this entire argument is mute.

just a theory...

Trav (-|-)