 Space / 25230
Re: MOC: Spy Prawn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 03:20:33 GMT

Thanks for all the positive responses. I’m a bit surprised by it actually, as this was very much a reject model that I didn’t invest that much time and effort into, but gratifying nonetheless.

I’ll reply to the things that seem to warrant it in this post. If I miss anyone consider yourself thanked now. :)

In lugnet.space, Keith Goldman wrote:
   Allister, this is a cool moc. You really captured the whole alien/aquatic aesthetic very well. I think its very difficult to make something look really ‘alien’and you have succeeded.

Yeah, I never really tried that before. This one came together fairly easily - I almost didn’t have to think about it. If i did it may not have turned out as well.

   The segmented body was well done, and the ‘legs’ as well. I can easily picture it floating in an alien sea... watching... always watching...

I would have liked to make the two curved brick in the centre that sit flush against each other hinge as well, but couldn’t figure it out. Maybe I’ll have another go

This moc was originally going to be the head for this mecha,...

I think you made the right call.

Hehe. Yeah you should have seen it with the prawn head. It looked like a Mon Calimari on steroids.

In lugnet.space, Andrew Saada wrote:
   At first I was not sure if it was minifig compatible. I also think the compact “cockpit” is great. Thanks for sharing!

Being a bit of a clear-canopy-o-phile I don’t usually like not giving my figs a window and a few controls, but this one seemed to suit the alternative. I may explore this futher.

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw wrote:

   Inspires me to get back to doing a few Vox models again. Those ACER guys are getting a little uppity...

O please do. I loved those things. They inspired me to rush out and by a couple of mutant rays - but unfortunately I couldn’t come up with anything nearly as cool as what you did with the Vox Mantis.

In lugnet.space, Joe Meno wrote:
   I spotted this when it first showed up on B-shelf, and yes, it did catch my attention. Great job on the Prawn! Spy craft are definitely needed by Alpha Team, and yours is a good one! You’ve caught the organic approach that the Sea Monkeys use on their craft, or the interpretation by Alpha Team:)

The colours on this are probably better suited to an Ogel craft, but hey, it’s a spy craft.

Come to think of it - Ogel does need to get in on the act

In lugnet.space, Felix Greco wrote:

   I’m a bit hesitant to show this, what with all the amazing MOCs appearing at the moment, but here goes.

Add one more to that list :)

Wow, even the Sultan himself approves:) Cool. Of course, now it’s been plastered all over the internet it’s use as a spy craft has been well and truly negated...

   Like many other people, I saw this on brickshelf a while back. I remember thinking, “Oh man, that would make such a cool Sea Monkey model. I think I’ll borrow the design concept.”

Go right ahead. That’s why I post stuff to brickshelf.

   The thing that impresses me most is that you really captured the essence of a Sea Monkey creature. With sophisticated SNOT use the model looks very organic and realistic.

Actually I thought the SNOT on this model was fairly straight forward. The ‘eyes’ on the side are merely an adaption of the 4x4 dish hatch I posted a while ago.

In lugnet.space, Philip Painter wrote:
   I saw this on BS last week and really enjoyed it. The segmentation is great. And I really like the “feelers” that can extend out of the front. The use of the lever handles as fingers was a good idea. I may have to adopt that.

I think I first saw that when someone (I forget exaclly who - Ah, here it is) built a snail with a couple of 2x2 dishes, and used this idea for the eyestalks.

   The only suggestion I might have is to include a couple more tentacle legs. Although it’d probably be hard to fit them somewhere without giving it too much bulk... Just a thought.

You could be right. Prawns have all those little scuttling legs don’t they. In fact, I’ve taken some of the paraphelania off the bottom to improve swooshability and balance, but I may put it back again with a few more as you suggest. Good idea.

Cheers to you all, Allister