 Space / 24943
Re: New Ship - Teaser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:13:13 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin wrote:
   If you’re using Photoshop, might I suggest that you check out the “Levels” command? You can use it to brighten up photos without washing them out. Here is an example I showed Chris the other day:

You might want to experiment with the “Variations” command. It provides much more control over what you are doing. You can control shadows, midtones, highlights, and even adjust color hue. The “Levels” command only lets you brighten highlights or darken shadows.

Levels does far more than that...in fact I think it’s more useful for midtones than for shadows. By adjusting the middle triangle, you can change leave the blacks black, the whites, white, and mess with everything inbetween. The equivalent adjustment in Corel PhotoPaint is “Gamma adjust”.

Most photos can be fixed up tremendously using “Variations”, “Levels”, “Color Balance”, etc, but it can take awhile. The real advantage of Photoshop is using “Auto Levels” (in PS6 and earlier) and “Auto Colors” (in PS7). “Auto Levels” will adjust the black/gray/white will brighten up just about any underlit picture. “Auto Colors” will fix the color balance in most cases if your photo turns out too yellow or too blue (almost always the case when you’re taking pictures indoors)

I almost always run a batch “Auto Colors” on every photo I take before doing any other editing.
--Bram

   Bram Lambrecht
www.bldesign.org