 Space / 22501
Re: Moonbase Observatory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 21:14:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.models, Jaco van der Molen writes:
Here is my Moonbase version of my Observatory!
Photo's: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=38980
LDraw: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=38983
Render:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sjaacko/Rendering/mb-observatory.jpg (deep
link)

LMKWYT

Wow, two hours have passed and no one else commented on this yet?  Well I
think it is a great model.  Actually when I read the subject of the post I
immediately began running through ideas of how I might build a deep space
telescope into a Moonbase.  Then I opened the pics, and I said to myself,
"Self," (That's what I call myself sometimes.) "Self, this person just
totally out-built anything you just thought of."

So my point is, Jaco, that your model rocks!  Speaking of rocks, I like the
use of BURPs on the back side of the module.  It adds terrain, which is nice
since the majority of modules are on flat gray desert.  I like the dark
strip running around the outside of the structure, although beyond that it
is very gray (not necessarily a bad thing, if that is what you wanted).

One thing I just thought of:  Aren't most real telescopes of this nature
positioned on the outskirts of society, away from city lights?  If this is
true, it would be interesting to see some Moonbase Mods that were little
more than low-long corridors or perhaps indoor rail-car tracks that link the
Observatory to a larger Moonbase/City but at some distance compared to the
cramped setup typically envisioned.  An idea anyway.

Oh, and by the way, your first model (below) looks equally cool.  I like how
you adapted elements of one into the other.

Original Observatory
Photo's: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=36047
LDraw: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=38982

Build On!