 Space / 22273
Re: Hello
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:18:03 GMT

In lugnet.space, Dean R. Hennen writes:
Hello, my name is DR. H. I like the Wild West, Castle, kits with really cool
parts, and especially town kits. I usually prefer to build medium-sized
buildings and social places every 2 to 4 days. You guys make really cool
stuff that give me lots of inspirations. I also have a question. Why was
there a Timmy overpopulation? Thanks.

As it seems you really don't know I'll throw in my little knowledge on the
subject.

I've never seen a Timmy fig IRL so I don't have the strong opinions about him.
But supposedly ppl. don't like him for two reasons:

1) He came in a lot of sets a lot of AFOL's bought for other parts leaving them
with a zillion copies of a not so useful minifig. Something about a Time
traveling theme. http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/system/town/timecruisers

2) He's a little kid that get's to play with cool machinery and the Sci-Fi
buffs don't like the mix.

Kind of like Jar-Jar adding that awful Disney-tone to Star Wars Episode I.

Taking a look at the sets in question and reading the notes about them I kind
of get a feeling for what went wrong. Time travel is one of the coolest things
in Sci-Fi, really. It has a lot of possibilites for good sets and playability.
But LEGO failed miserably. Back in 1996 the sets were still kind of good and
this theme probably mark exactly where it all started to go downhill. Now in
2003 things are turning upwards again.

Look at the sets, they are hideous! However they seem to contain a fair amount
of great parts which explains why a lot of AFOL's still bought them. They
disliked the sets but loved the parts so to speak. And since Timmy seems to be
in every single one of the sets it might be easy to blame him for TLC's failure
with the set. I'm speculating now.

To end with a quote from Scott Sanburn about the <set:6494> Mystic Mountain
Time Lab:
"Good parts + hideous model = Time Cruisers"

Best regards,
/Tobbe
http://www.lotek.nu
(remove SPAM when e-mailing)