 Space / 20626
RE: question about classic space printed 1 x 6 x 5 bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:56:24 GMT

hi guys,

I think this is my first posting in /space (beside the roll-call) although I
was, I am and always will be hopelessly fallen in love with classic space.

usually I'm toying around in /cad and cad is mainly the reason for a reply
to this question (http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=10301). currently I'm
making dat-files out of these two patterned bricks and after several weeks I
spent on refineing curves and the like I came up with an answer and a question.

How many different patterns were there?

  I'm aware of at least two.  One is from 6970 (Beta-I Command
  Base), and shows the ground-level shot of a standing rocket
  with a white Classic space guy in the lower right corner, looking
  up at it.  The numbers at the top (six positions) say "L.L.2079"
  (the dots are with the Ls).

  493 Space Command Center (O that of the varying baseplates?)
  also had one of these in a different pattern; that's a floating
  white Classic space dude, again from the back, working on some
  geegaw floating in space.  I'm not aware what the digits read
  on that one, because I don't own any copies of that set (gasp!).

That part also has LL2079 on it. I think the geegaw is supposed to be a
satellite. I own 1 copy of the set :-)

[snip]

IIRC, those are the only 2 in classic space. It's my guess that 2079 is
supposed to be the year.

answer: the "L.L. 2079" at the top stands for "LegoLand (in the year) 2079"
which is 100 year into the future of the year when the 493/926 was first
released.

question: why does the brick in 6970 have the same date, although the set
was releases in 1980 - a year later?

ciao, willy