 Space / 20557
Re: Lame Parts Competition - The Prize Winners
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.contests
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:07:09 GMT

Damn, I knew I should've gone out and bought one of those buckets in order
to get a picket fence :)  I could've won!  Heck, I was also hoping you'd go
by the number of each lame part used, as I have a great many of them in my
model.  Oh well.  It was still fun to try and build this crazy thing.

Here's to hoping the lame parts in the sets you're giving me will show up in
next year's contest!

Adrian
--
http://www.brickfrenzy.com

In lugnet.space, Allister McLaren writes:
My sincerest apologies for the delay in making this announcement. I hope
no-one was getting too anxious about it.

Anyway, the time has come to announce the winners in the Lame Parts Building
Contest.

First, Category one, which was decided purely on points. FYI, the points
awarded to each of the parts is as follows:

Part            Points
----            ------
technic piston  2
rope bridge     3
picket fence    4
tree stump      5
row boat        6
sail            7
manta ray       8
football        9
throwbot disc   10
nick bluetooth leg  20

I the end it was all academic as the two highest scoring entries, namely the
Galaxy Offender and the Chaos Nova used the same eight of the ten parts.

Both models also employed some extra lame parts, and as it's a tie breaker
I've decided to award 1 point for each extra part.

The Chaos Nova used some catapults and the adventurers headlight part.
However, I'll have to make a judgment call here and say that I don't really
think the head light part is all that lame. Hopefully you'll agree with me here.

The Galaxy offender used the throwbot arm (fairly lame) and a couple of
brick separators (so lame it's not even a part - I wouldn't have thought for
a second to used them in a model.)

So the Category 1 Grand Master Lame Partist Award goes to Josh Wedin for his
Galaxy Offender. The The Valiant Effort Consolation Prize goes to Adrian
Drake for his Chaos Nova.

Category 2 was a much more difficult choice, and the difficulty of this
choice is partly why I've been putting off making this announcement. Anyway,
I narrowed it down to a final three - the Lamestar Heavy Fighter, the Choas
Nova, and the Strix - all excellent models in their own right despite the
lameness of some of their parts.

I really, really like the way Michael used the rowboats in the Lamestar, so
it really pained me to eventually have to discard it, but the other two are
overall nicer models. Sorry Michael, it was soooo close.

So it came down to the final two, and after due consideration I'm awarding
the Category 1 Grand Master Lame Partist Award to Reed Anderson for the
Strix. An outstanding model by any standard, with some clever use of some
very lame parts. The mantas are particularly well used - I didn't even spot
them at first glance.

The Valiant Effort Consolation Prize goes again to Adrian Drake for the
Chaos Nova. It looks like that collection of lame parts is going to grow a
bit bigger, Adrian, but hey, they do say that all parts should come in
multiples of two, even lame ones :)

I'll be contacting the winners by email shortly (I need to get to bed right
now), and post out the prizes not long after that.

Thanks to all those who entered, and congratulations to all the winners.
It's been a fun competition. To all those who thought about entering, but
didn't: next time eh?

Cheers,
Allister