 Space / 19731
19730  |  19732
Subject:
A few comments on decorated pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 20:57:41 GMT

Hey all,

The piece I'm talking about actually comes from an Alpha Team set, but I
think it applies to Space since Lego is supposed to be about "flexibility."
This principle is what I take umbrage with, since TLG does not seem to be
applying it with their choice of designs when it comes to permamanently
decorated elements.

I'm referring the decorated trans-smoke cockpit and the decorated new slope
piece on the ROV in the set #4792 Alpha Team Navigator and ROV.  While I do
like the new slopes pieces in this set, I've decided not to keep these two
pieces, and instead put them in a bag of Lego that I take to a toy
consignment shop.

While I like the two pieces themselves, I find it disappointing that they
are both decorated in a way that, I think, severely limits their
"flexibility" in other themes.  Regarding the cockpit piece, it doesn't make
sense for a cockpit to have hoses coming in and out of it, and this attempt
at visual detail would have been far better served with actual hoses in the
set (as opposed the alarmingly high number of one-use snap-on parts that I'm
keeping only because I don't have any.  These parts seem pretty useless to
me, especially since they don't use actual Technic friction pegs and do not
attach firmly).  I think a more low-key approach, say a simple outline along
the edges and angles of the piece to suggest separate panels of glass would
have been more realistic, and ultimately, more utilitarian.

As for the 2x2 angled slope, the "Mission Deep Sea" and "Tee Vee" text makes
this piece really unsuitable for use in anything except another ROV model.
I think something more evocative of an actual camera lens would have been
more accurate and far more useful.

This trend of theme-specific parts decoration, which is also present in many
other themes (UFO, Insectiods, Extreme Team), is something I hope fades away
soon.  Classic Space produced some the best all-theme applicable decorated
parts yet seen, and I just hope that TLG will return to this simplicity in
their own themes.  Thankfully, the Star Wars line has proved to be an
excellent resource and has provided some of the best non-theme-specific
decorated parts we've seen in many a moon.

Any thoughts?

Dave