 Space / 19451
Re: PSS "ANJU"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:24:08 GMT

A good start on the road to a large SHIP Lenny.  I can't speak too
authoritatively on large construction projects as I haven't really done one
myself yet, so all I can offer is what I think looks good.

I think the aft end of the ship is holding the most promise with this one.
The slope of the back breaks up the line of the ship, and what appear to be
hinged doors topped with the 1x6 angled grey pieces smooth out transom area
a bit (like to see some shots of the doors open - looks interesting!)

Although the boxy style is not perhaps the most popular, I think it can work
when other components and dimensions are matched up.  Your ship seems to be
about a 1 to 3 , width to length ratio.  I've found that ships with a higher
differential..say 1 to 5 seem to plane out a bit in their appearance.  When
combined with leading edge slopes as Jon has mentioned upthread, the main
beam of the ship draws the eye down it, rather than focusing on one part.

Colour can help a lot here are as well.  A base colour with a secondary
grouped colour that runs the length of the ship also draws the eye from end
to end.  For an excellent example of these methods, check out Dan Jassim's
folder on Brickshelf, specifically his carriers.

This may seem like a lot of suggestions from a guy that hasn't tested the
SHIP waters himself, but these are ideas and thoughts I've been collecting
in preparation for my own large scale building some day... some of which
I've learned from the Anju as well!  My thanks!

Cheers,
-Gil

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman writes:
Not quite a SHIP, but big anyways..
sneak: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/glencaer/Anju/aanju.jpg

folder: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=29766

Proxian Starship "Anju"
Karalehn Industries Kafei Class
'Micro-Carrier', Destroyer Escort
Capt Sulyette Hon-Easman
Cmdr Kin Sohn

Crew of 22, including six pilots
Accompaniment: 2 K-14 'Kol' Fighters, 2 K-0 Fighters
Weapons: 2 Torpedo Tubes with multihead Torpedoes, Twin-Blaster Cannon,
Defence Turret
Drive: Tandy Systems Hyperdrive v3.2 (top of 175 star)
      Karalehn Quad-Tactical Engines (top of 1500km/h)

Designed during the great Proxian Revolution, as apart of a new strategy to
increase responce flexibility.  The Kafei Class is meant to be able to
operate alone for up to a year in a variety of situations, and also able to
join together with other like-designed ships to make a large formidible and
very versatile fleet.

**criticism is especially desired as I am currently trying to design my next
starship, possibly larger**

enjoy
-lenny