 Space / 19112
Re: Structural engineering on large Lego spacecraft.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 05:49:18 GMT

In article <H2srJx.8B9@lugnet.com>, "Amiliarch" <amiliarch@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Very interesting! If not very recent. personally, i do something different:
a reinforced spine made out of flat 2x* plates. I make about 6 of these that
have a total thickness of 3. I than attack these together with normal
bricks. The result is an insanely strong chassis that can easily support
your ship. I used this on my Emavolice battlecrusier. The only problem is
that it has to be built before the section that will surround it is built.
Also, its real hard to destroy (Try slamming it with your fist 15 times, see
if it lasts. my first ship with this did O.o

   Hey, I missed this when you posted it over 2 months ago, heh.
   I don't understand what you mean. A picture would provide much
clarification. However, it sounds like a quite effective means of
strengthening a ship. Do you have ay pictures of this ship, or of the
internal support structures? I recently began experimenting with
structures strengthened by "rings." I construct out of bricks large
rings which rest against the outer hull of the vessel. I then construct
around these rings the ship's hull. I haven't yet made a complete vessel
by this method of construction. Though tests of experimental sections
indicate great promise.