 Space / 18501
Re: It's a pod blowout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:30:38 GMT

Great Stuff Andrew!
I like the Idea of a vertical pod as it looks cool.
Didn't know the Tie Defender was so big though.
HLDITY to build them?
Hasta La Vista, Sean

In lugnet.space, Andrew Martin writes:
Go to
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~martinam/MartianDesign/
and click on "New Additions" at the bottom.

The first item is my first Star Wars pod.  The Pod TIE Defender.  I copied
Jamie's Interceptor pretty closely.  I would've gotten it done sooner, but I
had to wait for a BrickLink order.

Since my goal of making the first B-wing pod was thwarted, I decided to go
for something a little more obscure.  It wasn't in any of the movies.  It
hasn't even been in a book or game.  It's Jon Palmer's D-wing.  I thought it
would make a good pod since it's a vertical ship, although the end result
isn't as poddish as I would've liked.  I originally wanted to use the same
blue as his, but I didn't have all of the pieces that I needed, so I used
yellow highlights.  Maybe I'll do a blue version later.  I tried to include
all of the features.  The landing skids retract.  The front unfolds, and the
chair lowers, although it doesn't move very far.

Next is my walker pod.  I have better pictures than what I originally
posted.  I wanted the pilot to be enclosed even with the legs unfolded, so
there was even less room to work with than a normal pod.  If it's hard to
tell from the pictures, the dishes are light yellow, not tan.

Then I made some more pod modules.  The first is a warp drive donut.  No,
it's not the same thing as the Jedi starfighter attachment.  That's a
hyperdrive ring, and this is a warp drive donut, so they're clearly
different.  I liked the look of the barrels in the engines on the original
D-wing so much that I used them here.

I wanted to make some kind of fighter module, but I didn't want to use
normal wings, so I used my TIE Defender design to make a three-winged
fighter.  I wanted it to look as mean as a pod could.

Finally I made a little module with plugs on both ends for attaching two
pods back-to-back.

Hope you like 'em.

-Andrew