 Space / 18482
Re: It's a pod blowout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:41:12 GMT

In lugnet.space, Andrew Martin writes:
Go to
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~martinam/MartianDesign/
and click on "New Additions" at the bottom.

Just let me start out by saying each and every one of these ROCK.  Now onto
the specifics...

The first item is my first Star Wars pod.  The Pod TIE Defender

This is one bad lookin' ting.  Normally I'm not a big fan of Expanded
Universe stuff, but this really looks amazing.  Using the Classic Space
thrusters to maintain the slope of the pylons really makes it in my opinion.

Since my goal of making the first B-wing pod was thwarted,

:)

I decided to go for something a little more obscure.  It wasn't in any of the movies.  It
hasn't even been in a book or game.  It's Jon Palmer's D-wing

Jon's Dwing is a thing of beauty and this carries on the tradition.  I'm
amazed how well you've managed to integrate the dishes into the design by
countersinking them into the main beam.  The egress is both realistic and
just plain cool.  This is definately my favorite out of the bunch.  Now if
you can only get Jon's nifty lifting chair gizmo to work ;)

Next is my walker pod.

Incredible engineering for this guy.  A little like a poddish chicken
(understandably necessary to do space constraints), but I like it!

Then I made some more pod modules.  The first is a warp drive donut./.... so they're clearly
different.

Indeed.  Very cool idea for those pods with the 3/4 horsepower engine.
Almost looks like a giant slingshot...which is I guess what a warp donut's
task essentially is.

I wanted to make some kind of fighter module, but I didn't want to use
normal wings, so I used my TIE Defender design to make a three-winged
fighter.  I wanted it to look as mean as a pod could.

Kablam!  I'd hate to see this bearing down on the poor, defenseless EYOT.

Finally I made a little module with plugs on both ends for attaching two
pods back-to-back.

A small innovation with big possiblities...love it.

Hope you like 'em.

I do!

Cheers,
-G