 Space / 1802
Re: '59 Caddy Hovercar Raytraces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.town, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 15:41:50 GMT

I didn't know that about POV-ray.  The only things I've rendered in it have
been floating in space, so I've never tried something hovering over a
reflective surface.

Is the POV file available for download somewhere?  I need a 1024x768 version
for my Windows wallpaper  :-)

Now, where can I get lotsa pink bricks...

James

In lugnet.space, Bram Lambrecht writes:
In lugnet.space, James Wilson writes:
Very cool!

Thanks.

Did you do anything special to the bottom of the car in the ray-trace?  In
the reflection, it looks almost like you have placed tiles there upside down,
but the MPD has plates for the bottom.  Or is it an optical illusion?

It's an optical illusion--well, actually, it's probably just a limitation of
POV-Ray.  AFAIK, reflective surfaces in POV don't actually reflect the light
rays that bounce off of them, so no light reaches the bottom of the car, so no
shadows are created which would make the tubes show up.  Instead, the bottom
sort of "glows" because of the "ambient" values of the brick textures.
Transparent surfaces are also difficult to deal with in POV.  At first, the
canopy's texture was set to let 100% of light through, so only the highlight
showed up :)  I changed the filter value to .9, and then the coloring of the
dome showed up.
--Bram