 Space / 1721
Re: Starship Command Chairs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:55:04 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Lindsay,

    Impressive. Most Impressive!

Hi, .space folks--

This little issue has been on my mind for some time, as I feverishly and
wishfully plot my magnificent (yet humble) starship plans.  We've had
discussions of bridges, bridge layouts, and the like; among these have
been some stunning examples of "floating bridges" using the giant
quarter domes and more traditional windowed bridges; a few ships didn't
even have bridges per se.  Well, this post addresses something much
smaller in scope:  the captain's chair.

Hmm.. I used the 2x3 Rocket chair, as I call it, for my starship bridge. (I
really need to post pictures of it sometime!) I have not yet made the
captains chair different than the other two chairs, for the first officer
and the other. It is like the Enterprise D. The Enterpirse-E bridge is
really weird, however. It doesn't look like many Ensigns will be able to fly
over the consoles. : (

The first is the "basic" command chair, with diagnostic button panels;
it is the most primitive and might be found on ships of all generations:

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/carthage/1046/cmdchr1f.jpg
http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/carthage/1046/cmdchr1r.jpg

Real nice design.

The next chair is a modification of type 1.  It's also my favourite--the
screen held out in front of the officer really came out nicely.  This is
expected to be a mid-level-tech military standard chair.

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/carthage/1046/cmdchr2f.jpg
http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/carthage/1046/cmdchr2r.jpg

My First officers and Captain's  also have computers sort of like this, with
that 1x4 piece to swing out so they can access it.

Want to use direct neural control for your starship, or do you just like
big funky headrests?  Type 3, the "advanced chair," might pique your
interest:

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/carthage/1046/cmdchr3f.jpg
http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/carthage/1046/cmdchr3r.jpg

This is an awesome chair, I might have to build one now! : )

Very nice designs, Lindsay. Sigh, I guess I will have to finish my bridge
and build a ship for it as well. : )

Scott E. Sanburn
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com
Coming Soon: The Sanburn Systems Company