 Space / 16887
Re: 3 new MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:39:00 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jason Spears writes:

Well first, please resize your pictures.  50% at least.  Trying to view them
at home on 28.8K modem is a nightmare.

You are of course right about this so I resized them today.  I live on campus
and therefor have free DSL service and I forget what live with a modem is like.
I apologize.

Starlancer:

I am not familar with the Statlancer video game, but I think this ship has a
great shape.  One piece of constructive (I hope) criticism is that (if you
have the parts) making the two cockpits from the same piece or atleast the
same color would make that section look sleeker. (IMHO.)  Good work.

I actually did made the pod red for uniformity and then I found the smoked
glass pieces for both windscreens.  This has really made the cockpit/tailgun
pod really look a whole lot better.  I don't think I will be posting these
changes unless I find I have more time on my hands.

Airblade:

Again, a very neat shape.  I like those wings.  One suggestion though - I
think the colors of the model would flow better, if you had a little more
black sprinkled throughout the main body as well as the wings.  Maybe the
dark grey stripe, switched to black?  Question - I noticed that the top two
engines have a trans-green cylinder in them, while the bottom two do not.
Why the difference?  Function?

If you are just taken a polite interest in my design don?t read the following
Long-winded explanation of why I made the four engines this way.  I am not a
scientist, I just have a healthy interest in science fiction, so the terms I
use might be either vaguely understood by me or I might be using them flat out
wrong.  O.K. the fair warning is over.  The red cylinders I am using as engines
look to me like modern jet engines.  Since they are in the vacuum of space I
realize that they are not taking in air to mix with some fuel.  That being said
they still look like the ?back? of the engine might be ejecting to exhaust for
pollution.  I figure that this force ejected can be ejected off-axis providing
changes in direction and speed the two components of velocity.  Although I
presume the engines can eject force off-axis I don?t think the shape of them
allows for omni-directional ejection.  That is force on the z-axis (what we
think of as forward and backward although those terms don?t really apply) will
be limited to moving the ship in only one direction along said axis.  So the
set of engines closer to the cockpit have the green cylinders (The off-axis
ejection units) placed so that they can apply opposite force on the z-axis.
This allows for deceleration in space with out requiring the vehicle to turn on
its y-axis.  Basically the pilot of the craft doesn?t have to turn his ship
around to apply the brakes.

Jason Spears
MichLUG - http://www.michlug.org/
Lego Page - http://www.ozbricks.com/brickcentral/