 Space / 16857
Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:31:35 GMT

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:57:40 GMT, you wrote:

Why don't you think the Romans had war chariots?  Or do you mean they just
didn't call them "war chariots" but something else.  I'm pretty sure the Romans
had a military chariot.  As for the ruts in paved road, it can happen.  I've
seen ruts several inches deep in solid rock caused by the repetitive erosion
from wagon train wheels here in the US.

I recall my visit to Pompeii, Italy, 10 years ago.  The Romans there
used stepping stones to cross streets from sidewalk to sidewalk, much
like a zebra crossing type sidewalk today, but elevated.  As I recall
the stones were spaced so that chariot and wagon traffic could pass
between them, and I am pretty sure there were ruts in the stone
pavement too.  The ruts could have been intentionally cut (I am
guessing) to guide wheels between the stone block pedestrian
crossings, but I'm no history expert to quote on the subject.

In any case, the exisiting standard was applied usefully in an urban
setting to keep people's feet out of the muck when crossing a street,
and Pompeii was buried about 70 AD.

-Matt :)

www.insidethevault.com - mattchiles@gorge.net
  Matt Chiles