 Space / 16845
Re: Very funny bit of information on the guage of American Railroads (Not directly LEGO related)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:31:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.trains, Leonard Erlandson writes:
As for the ruts in paved road, it can happen.  I've
seen ruts several inches deep in solid rock caused by the repetitive erosion
from wagon train wheels here in the US.

Romans maintained their roads, though at some point I'm sure that broke
down.  I have not been to Europe, so I do not know the state of the old
Roman roads beyond that they are still often used due to their excellent
construction.

Hmmm... I can confirm that there are indeed some ruts in *paved* roman
roads, although I cannot confirm if these date from the Roman Era (like you
say, there has been a continuous usage of some roman roads).
What I can say is, in long "forgotten" Roman cities there are samples of
paved *streets* which had ruts. I cannot tell for sure in which city I saw
this, I guess it was in Conímbriga (Portugal), but it may have been
somewhere in Spain.

In any case, the point would be that in the time the ruts
standardized wheel spacing, it would have happened on non-roman roads
(non-paved roads).  The story flows better by bringing in the Roman
road-building angle, but it gives the wrong impression about the roads built
for the swift movement of imperial armies.

They were built for that purpose, but it is clear that was not the main
usage once they were built. I mean, an army requires continuous supplies,
but doesn't move all the time!
Plus, eventually the romanized people understood that the paved roads were
much more convenient for their own trade... otherwise, Roman setlements in
the hinterland would not be able to sustain economic activity and would
decline quickly.

I once read that it were the Romans themselves which carved the ruts in some
places, allegedly to regulate traffic, much in the same way we now use road
separators. I dunno if this is true, but it would be an explanation to the
depht of the ruts in some places.

Pedro