 Space / 1660
Re: futuron
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 00:32:27 GMT

   Hi,

Matthew Wilkins wrote:

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

"Scott E. Sanburn" wrote:
I don't know why either, I got my red one from the minifig pack, it was
always interesting to wonder why that is. Maybe LC (TLG, TLC, LG, LC,
etc.) had a special ranking system, and they decided to scatter them
around. I wonder what the ratio of the Classic Space minifig colors are,
and what minifigs are rare in that theme?

This is one that had my friends and I scratching our then-preadolescent heads
way back when too, and just when we thought we'd figured it out, the
introduction of minifig packs really threw off any attempt at calculation.
General acclaim was that the black Classic minifigs (not the diagonal-zipper
type) were the rarest, and this seems to jibe with the experience of everyone
I've asked thus far.  Blue seem second rarest because of their comparatively
short existence, and white, gold, and red in that order.  But that could also
be an artifact of when I was collecting--I have tons of blue, but I know
that's because my consumption was heaviest between about 1983 and 1986.
(Rarest of all must be the earliest sticker-torso ones--but do we count those
as different?)

See, now I have a completely different distribution of Classic Space 'figs. My
collection started in '78, (with a sticker-torso red, but I digress) and I
collected until about 1986 or so. I have in my (MIA) Classic Space collection
67 white Classic 'figs (peons, laborers, technicians), 32 red 'figs (pilots)
14 yellow figs (computer techs) and 1 black one (The Admiral, who roared about
in his personal Gamma V Laser Craft).

Yeah, I added white epaulettes to mine and made them officers, and one has a
Spyrius droid head.  My "grand admiral" is a black Classic minifig who was
incomplete--no helmet--and I put a black officer's cap on him.  The "great leader"
of the entire clutch is a very old minifig--he's got a black torso with a blue
waistcoat, and IIRC he was one of the very early articulated Town minifigs.  But
add a black jetpack, some epaulettes, and a blue officer cap, and presto!  Instant
politico.

The other colours were as follows:  Red were ground troops or marines; white were
ship technicians and crew; blue were pilots or navigators; and yellow were the
lowest "all-officer" cadre.  Red space fellas are easily the most numerous of my
minifigs, and I think they're still the most numerous single minifig type that I
have (although a few now have female faces), fifteen years and almost 100,000
pieces later.  *wistful sigh*

I do wish they'd have that level of uniformity in a theme again--the minifigs were
simple but still elegant.  The closest Space theme in terms of minifig uniformity
and aesthetic value recently has been Exploriens.  Of course, I still consider
BT-I the hands-down winner on the aesthetic front.

best

Lindsay (who just got his auction winnings, including a complete Solar Power
Transporter, from the UK today!)