 Space / 16462
Moonbase Module : Alpha Living Quarters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:49:59 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi everyone! After seeing the 'Moonbase Project' page and the first modules,
I was bitten by the Moonbase Project bug and decided to build a module too!
As with many moonbase builders I was amazed how big the result is (I never
filled my big grey baseplate as much as this) so I am pretty happy about the
result, although when I watch at all the other models that pop out of the
ground these last couple of weeks I was pretty intimidated by all the other
builder's results... Anyway, here's my module:

I called it an Alpha Living Quarters module, because, well, when you want to
start building something on the moon, what do you need? Something that
provides power, something that provides oxygen, somewhere to live, and some
places to store stuff...  That's why this module contains its own power
generator and oxygen generator (because that's what is built first) in the
room called 'Engine Room'.  There you can find the Life Support computer
which basically controls all this sofisticated machinery...  The power
generator is driven by 3 Legonium Power Crystals which provide enough power
to create energy and oxygen for 4 modules; this is why there is still need
for power plant modules and oxygen creation modules.

A Beta Living Quarters module would basically only contain, well, living
quarters, but it needs to get its power and oxygen from somewhere else!

The Storage Room containes several cabinets for storing food, and it also
has a helmet storage rack and an oxygen tank recharger; nobody is happy to
have to walk around in the living quarters with a helmet on and lugging
his/her oxygen tank around.  That's why guests and the Engine Room operator
are much more comfortable without all that stuff on their head and back.

The Living Quarters are made for two Lego minifigs; there's a bedroom with
two beds, and there's a shower room and toilet too, or else life would be
very unhappy for the minifigs...  The Shower Room can be examined in detail
because of a movable wall which turns on two hinges.  So before anyone asks
"What's that red button on the wall?" I will answer "That's the brick to
hinge open the 'turnable door for display purposes' of the shower room"

I tried to make the living quarters as comfortable as possible; there's a
kitchen/bar with heating plate, a dining room table for 4, a comfy couch, a
TV, a radio/cassetteplayer, some plants, some lights, and the main occupants
are wearing comfy clothes instead of the standard SpaceFig uniform.

Building the module wasn't easy, because on my first try I failed miserably;
I originally had planned 4 exits and two stairs, but suddenly I ran out of
space and there was no way to show off my shower and toilet...  Furthermore,
I hadn't thought about how to show the interior, and all these design issues
I missed taught me a lot on my second try...

Things I am pretty proud of:
- My Legonium Crystal Power Generator : it's nice and colorful and I found
the result pretty pleasing
- My shower, toilet and bedroom
- The general layout of the living quarters
- The stair going from the corridor to the ground floor : the result with
all the trans-lightblue bricks is very pleasing
- The Classic Space logo on my living quarters roof

Things I am not too proud of:
- Well, no airlock...  But that'll be a separate module!
- It used up loads of my bricks!
- Because my 'Classic Space Logo roof' is built of several layers of bricks,
it curls up a little, which is a bit annoying

This module would not have been possible without the set 1254
(http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1254), which I found ludicrously low priced at
my local store a couple of weeks ago, and of which I bought 6 copies of; it
provided allmost all my windows, doors, fruit, cabinets and walls.

So let me know what you think; comments are always welcome ^_^

Carl

P.S. With the rate that all these Moonbase Modules are created, wouldn't we
need a lugnet.space.moonbase group pretty soon?