 Space / 15787
Re: Renaming of Space Laser-Gun with Side Sight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 23:05:06 GMT

<snip>

Don't quote me on this, but if it's the piece I think you're referring to, I
believe it first appeared in this set here:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6880

And only appeared in space sets for the *longest* time.

So the Space descriptive element was justified, tho prob'ly not now.

Dave K.

The other set it first appeared in was 1982's Mobile Rocket Transport
(SPAAACCE):

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6950

This set IS a Legend, if anything is.  I drooled over these as a kid as much
as the Black Seas Baracuda in my adult years.

By far one of the coolest pieces for minifigure accessories in the SPACE
theme.  Back then minifigures were peaceful, so I always thought it was a
portable tracking laser, similar to the laser "speed-guns" in use by US
Police officers (Smokies!).  The original employment of this tool is on
radar dishes for long range work.  I know this is verbose, so bear with me.
The logical function of this tool would be for the longer portion to house
the laser itself (projector) and the "eyepiece" would be the receiver for
the bounce-back beam.  This would be a way for minifigures to judge speed,
distance and image of objects, not to destroy them!  It was not until us
crazy kids got a hold of these that they became Death-Rays!!!
SO!
My name submission would be:
Portable Laser Unit/Tracking Objects or P.L.U.T.O.
BUT that is only a little goofy like POOP or BURP, so I don't mind if nobody
chooses my submission.  Besides, we like to blow things up with our Space
Bazooka more!!
Hey!  That is catchy!  SPACE BAZOOKA!!! (Throws reason to the wind...)
:)
Happy building!
-Aaron-