 Space / 15088
15087  |  15089
Subject:
Problems (was Re: The Official Ice Planet 2002 Contestant/Entry List)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.contests, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:53:28 GMT

Well, a strange thing happened on the way to wrapping this contest up...

Many contestants have their entries loaded onto the Brickshelf Gallery for
viewing purposes.  Apparently, and without prior warning (as far as I can
see), the Brickshelf Gallery is unavailable for a period of time that is
stated ambiguously to be from "15 seconds to days."  Now, I don't know what
"days" may mean, but I know enough to know that when one adds days together
they become weeks, months, and even years.  Someone has to go through at
least hundreds and possibly thousands of images to set things right and I am
guessing that this will take no small amount of time.  Sure, Kevin's site is
free -- so I guess we all get what we pay for...

Now this might be jumping thee gun, but given these extant circumstances we
are faced with three main approaches to the problem:

1) Call the contest closed, without winners.

2) Wait for such time as all contest entries reappear on brickshelf ::yawn::

3) Give Kevin L. the Fickle Finger of Fate, load everything onto free sites
like http://www.ozbricks.com/ (and there is a VERY strong preference that
only sites without banner ads or popups be used), reorganize the Official
contest webpage and now finished ballots to reflect these changes, vote, and
declare winners.

Whatever people decide to do is fine with me.  Speaking only for myself, I
will put in the time to make it happen even though it is a huge pain the
buttocks (although mainly it should just be changing a bunch of URLs on the
ballots and official website). If we decide to forge ahead using other free
sites, I'd like to strip down the Official webpage to show only categories,
the names of MOCs, element counts, the names of creators, and a linking URL.
If contestants have things to say about their MOCs, those things should be
stated on their own webpages.  I say this in advance in the hopes of
reducing possible extra work either for myself or the valiant Commander Curt.

Obviously, all previously stated dates for completing the contest are now no
longer valid.  I am going to guess that it will take at least until the
middle or end of July to sort out the hassles we now face.  There will be an
attempt to make as many people as possible happy with what is now to be decided.

Your patience and generosity is much appreciated.  Again, everyone has
acquitted themselves admirably with their wonderfully creative entries.
Kudos to Commander Curt for handling his webpage duties so well.  For those
scoring at home: the BT1 contest had 34 entries in 8 categories while the IP
2002 has 35 entries in 11 categories.

-- The Ice Worm

The justice of The Ice Worm is the justice of the open hand.