 Space / 14044
14043  |  14045
Subject:
Space, but not Lego...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 14:32:03 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

While we're on the topic of space-related stuff that's not Lego...

Some of you might know about these two "simulator" programs, for those who
don't, I highly recommend you check them out:

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/
Celestia is a space simulation rendered using real data about our Solar
System, the local stellar neighbourhood, and nearby galaxies. Awesome
graphics. Perfect for working out what stars form your interstellar empires,
or just gawking at the Jovian moons in motion.

http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html
Orbiter is a simulator that allows you to pilot a spacecraft all the way
from a base on the surface of a planet/moon, into orbit, then out to
anywhere in the Solar System, all with (dauntingly) realistic physics and
excellently-rendered graphics. Very extensible, and lots of fun for the
space addict and wannabe astronaut. Spaceflight is complicated, mmkay?

--
Cheers,
Paul