 Space / 1394
Re: Design Sketches of Blactron Lander
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 23:08:39 GMT

In lugnet.space, Patrick Justison writes:

<snip>

My artistic
talent is very limited (this is why I like LEGO so much), so dont judge them to
harshly.

</snip>

What you've drawn here is what is referred to in drawing classes as a
"gestural" drawing. These are rough, quickly-done drawings that serve to give an
impression of general shape and movement... which is what you've done.

The shape you have pictured appears similar to the dropships from Starship
troopers. I always thought those were pretty cool designs. If I may make a
suggestion: instead of making fold-up landing gear,  make statonary ones
that are mounted on the bottom of the craft. I think it would be cool if you
made the
craft modular, so you could drop the "troop carrier" portion and fly the
"shuttle" portion away. This would allow the shuttle to get away more
quickly, instead
of having to wait for troops to exit, and it would also allow it to provide
aerial support for the dropped troop carrier. Then you could perhaps mount
folding
landing gears on the shuttle portion so it doesn't have to depend on the
carrier as a landing pad.

I'm making them public so spacers will have an idea of what I have brewing as
well as to start a disscussion of how people plan and build their space
designs.  I draw out about half of my designs on paper well before I snap the
firts bricks together.  The other half result from cool shapes that result from
brick experimentation.  What do ya'll do?

Well, up unitl now, I have always sort of decided I want a certain thing,
like "I want a cargo bay" or "I want pop-up hideaway cannons" and then I usually
build a center section around those and then the rest of the craft develops
around that. I'm not generally too organized about it. I did just make a
reasonably cool
mecha with a bunch of Star Wars parts, but I haven't photo'd it yet. I'll
let you know when I do.

~Mark