 Space / 1392
Re: Design Sketches of Blactron Lander
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:54:31 GMT

In lugnet.space, Patrick Justison writes:
I don't know if all you are getting sick of my constant posts to this • subgroup,
but here we go.  I received some books that I ordered from the Syd Mead • website
( http://www.sydmead.com ) last night.  And after reading through them all
(till about 4am last night) I felt inspired to do a lot of different things.
But first on the block is to finish the blacktron lander.  To this end I bid • on
another MIB (6987) and began to do some more design sketches.  My artistic
talent is very limited (this is why I like LEGO so much), so dont judge them • to
harshly.  The two images below show the profile of teh ship (one with inside
details and the other with outside details).  There are some other sketches
that I used for other views as well as some sketches I did to help refine the
design.  So here we go:

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~pjbrick/bls1.jpg
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~pjbrick/bls2.jpg

I'm making them public so spacers will have an idea of what I have brewing as
well as to start a disscussion of how people plan and build their space
designs.  I draw out about half of my designs on paper well before I snap the
firts bricks together.  The other half result from cool shapes that result • from
brick experimentation.  What do ya'll do?

pat J

My connection is a bit flaky right now, so I haven't had a chance to see your
sketches.

What I have found to be true (for me) is that I have grand plans on paper, but
can rarely bring them to term. I tend to over-analyze things when I sketch
them and spend too much time on the details. Some of my best work is
spontaneous improvisation on a half baked idea where I disconnect the brain
and let the hands do the work. As it is right now, I have nearly 40 sketches
related to my big exploration ship, but I've only built the cockpit area.
That's pretty sad for something that's been in the works since November. I'm
about to abandon it and move on to something else.

I've been lacking creativity lately (probably because of the project
mentioned above) and have actually thought about taking all of my sorted
collection and dumping it out on the basement floor into a big pile to try and
stimulate it. Once I thought about how much work it would be to resort my
collection, I quickly dismissed the idea. It is neat to be digging through a
pile of parts that I haven't sorted yet and find one to use in a situation
where you would normally use a more standard part. (I hope the sentence made
sense) Where do you guys get your inspiration and building ideas?

-Duane