 Space / 12898
Re: A tanker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:08:35 GMT

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.space, Trevor Pruden writes:
A couple pics of this sub capital was taken for my by fellow group member
Ken Koleda (thanks, Ken!) at the Michlug mini-meet yesterday.  It's about
107 studs long when the tanker module is attached by means of a collar.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tpruden/Astrolift-IT420/tanker1.jpg

More pics of this ship and two more on the way.

  Two more what?  Two more ships?  :D  Or can the modules be run in
  tandem, like the tandem load lorries that are still legal in Ohio
  and Michigan?

  The collar:  What's the theory there?  Just Technic pegs?  Or is
  it good for bearing the connector's load?

  I have to agree, also, that the thrusters are the real highlight
  of the command module--I can picture it trying to scoot its way
  around to dock with the tank.  How many points of articulation are
  there on each?  (I see at least two per arm.)

  Anyways, nice work.  I really have a soft spot for utility craft--
  sort of like "Builder Bob in Space."

  best

  LFB

Thanks, Lindsay!  Well, at the moment there are 2 points of articulation
with the engines plus each vane has one pont of articulation.  It would have
been relatively easy to allow the engines to swing around and point forward
but I was concerned about the weight of each causing the top engine vanes to
strike the lower ones.  So I left it the way it was.

The collar:  I can hold the tank at it's back end and the collar can bear
the load and moment produced by the command module.  So the ship is tres
tres swooshable.  Plus there are a couple of technic pegs to help line up
two halves.  The tank is also hollow and can be converted into a cargo
module.  The intent is to be able to connect 2 or 3 in a row like you said
and the command module hauls everything.

When I said "two more", I meant two more new capitals.  I had to use to
Scott Sandburn's camera and he said he was going to upload the pics today.
So hopefully by tomorrow I will post a note on those.

~Trev