 Space / 12005
Re: BT Contest: Mobile Message Decoder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 00:20:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
"Tony Hafner" <hafhead@PANTSplanetquake.com> wrote:
Here's my second entry in the Blacktron contest, the Mobile
Message Decoder.

Now this is great!
Modular with a lot of playability.  The trans yellow hinging plates on the
sides look excellent.  You have the Blacktron style down too.  I think a lot
of builders make something black and yellow and call it Blacktron (which is
fine I guess as a homage) but I think to really make a Blacktron creation
(same goes for imitating any theme) you need to have a good grasp of the the
shape and features.

Thanks- and yes, there are a lot of details that I would normally have done
differently.  The use of the angled stanchions and the big goofy radar array
strike me as classic BT construction.  Were it not for the contest, I would
probably have finished out those details quite differently.  I'm quite
pleased with the result... and now I've learned a couple of new things.

And thanks to John and Mark for the kind words as well.

(also to answer your question about my entries:  I'm probably not going to
enter anything in this contest.  I'm honestly just getting back to building
after a break and I've already got a large list of stuff I'd like to tackle
first.)

I totally understand.  Building tends to go in waves for most people.  In
fact, I'm having to force myself to find the time for this... but that's not
a bad thing, as I'm really having fun with it!

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com