 Space / 11793
Re: Site update.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:50:09 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jordan Greer writes:
  The main change: I changed the look of the site, for the better!
  I also uploaded a page on artifical intelligence systems, and a new
ship..

The site does look better, and I poked around some.  My favorite ship is the
Hidoshi-class.

One suggestion:
It would be a lot better to have at least the external links take people out
of the frames.  You can do this by adding the "target" property to the
links, pointing to "_top".  Example:

If you want to cause a new window to open up, you can send them to a
nonexsistant frame:

There is probably a special value that you *should* use when creating a new
window, but I don't know for sure what it is.  Someone in
lugnet.publish.html probably knows... maybe "_new"?

Personally, I prefer not to use frames.  My primary reason is that it allows
me to easily give out a link to a specific page without the person getting a
strange subpage that is missing the outer context.  But that's a personal
decision, and everyone has their own preferences for how they like a site.
I know that frames can be a lot easier to maintain, particularly if you
don't use editing tools.  I use Notepad for everything, and it's a major
pain when I have to change the site structure.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com