 Space / 11359
Re: Bardiel is done
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 04:01:59 GMT

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message

   That thing's huge!  See below.

   The storyline:

   I love that bridge in frame 57...and those little black-and-silver
   terror troops are great with those Toa masks as shields!  Excellent
   idea.  I didn't get too far through the story itself--I agree, that
   early chase screams for comic-book-type sound effects, and dialogue
   would just transform it.  I caught myself trying to figure out just
   what they *might* be saying.

Glad you liked the elevated set.  That was fun to make.  And the masks as
shields came about because I love to make something else out of a part that
so many people think is un useless or too specialized.

I also took some pics of the generator/bridge set and the set I used for the
alley behind the bar:

   Bardiel itself:  Awwww yeah!  I hope we'll see plenty of text about
   the ship, its story, etc--that was one of the coolest things about
   it.  You've kept the whole "found technology" look about it very,
   very effectively, inside and out.  And those open expanses on some
   of the decks are amazing!

Glad you like the way it turned out!

   This, however, is remarkable:

   I vote this as "most interesting use of a Pirate hull, ever."
   It does make for a very organic-looking drive system--and the
   fiber-optics, do they light to give it the complete funky look?

:-)  The drive/core is supposed to look like a huge altar. You can see a
computer terminal down at the bottom so the engineers can talk to the ship.
The boat hull seemed to have a nice shape to it so I just layered everything
on that.  The whole drive is actually only attached by 2 studs at the top.
The lower portion slots into place on another boat hull bow.  This bow is
upside down and held in place by a few tiles.  The fiber optics does spin
and glow.  You can actually see it lit up (barely) in one of the pics.
There is a motor mounted inside the pirate hull. An RCX is hidden inside the
top engine.  You can access it by a hinge plate on top and theres actually a
tiny door at the rear of the engine so I could plug in an AC adaptor.  The
RCX is programmed to start the drive and flicker some lights along the ship
when I turn off the light.

   This:

   is a definite contender for the "BURP usage" category.

BURPs are great!!

   Anyways, this is splendid.  I can't wait to see more!  (And add
   it to the GS, fergoshsakes, grumble grumble.)

Thank you very much!  I'll add it soon.  I'm gonna try to take "the"
picture of the ship before I take it apart.  With good light and stuff.

-Jon