 Space / 11049
Re: I.S.S. Urania
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:56:05 GMT

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  Rick-

  I really do like the look of this ship and your other NEF creation--
  they have that fragile, framework look while still having a nice
  meaty core and just enough asymmetry to give them that "we *had* to
  put it there" (functionalist) feel to it.  I'm halfway inclined
  to model my full-size ships in microfig first once _Experiment_
  is done!

That's what I was going for, was a NEF idea. Everything is modular and can
'break' off to form a Comunications satellite, a lifepod, etc.

  The page layout is also looking extremely nice.  I can tell it's
  a work in progress (there was one incongruity in header, image,
  and text in the database section--odd because the same vessel
  was correctly "collated" everywhere else) but it's very promising.

Err, what do you mean?

  My only suggestions would be to read through the text to catch
  those annoying little typographical/grammatical nits, and to get
  that backstory filled in!

OOps!!!! ;-) My partner in crime has been off-line since he moved so the
backstory will be finished as soon as he gets back on-line. I also broke it
up into 'Eras' based on what you want to read.

  I'd also really enjoy seeing more about the technology of the ship--do you >   envision reactionless drives, or artificial gravity, or...?
  (It looks  like you have some kind of centrifuge there, at least on
  Daedalus.)

With this little tidbit here, They both have a rotational gravity section,
the Daedalus' Grav section is three rings, that rotate, to provide gravity.
The Urania's Grav section is a large cylindrical module near the back. The
drives are a Tiberium-infused core. Must have that imaginite material. :)

  Oh, yeah, one more thought:  Naming a ship "Icarus" would be
  a very, very, very bad idea.  "Do I smell...burning wax?" :D

:)

RIck