 Space / 11039
Re: I.S.S. Urania
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 07:35:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Rick Hallman writes:
The I.S.S. Urania, humankind's first FTL ship to explore the local area
systems. It found 36 star systems, of which 21 had habitable planets.
Unfortunatly, 3 years after it was set sail, it was destroyed over Sirus II.
http://confed.8m.com/ships/urania.htm

   Rick-

   I really do like the look of this ship and your other NEF creation--
   they have that fragile, framework look while still having a nice
   meaty core and just enough asymmetry to give them that "we *had* to
   put it there" (functionalist) feel to it.  I'm halfway inclined
   to model my full-size ships in microfig first once _Experiment_
   is done!

   The page layout is also looking extremely nice.  I can tell it's
   a work in progress (there was one incongruity in header, image,
   and text in the database section--odd because the same vessel
   was correctly "collated" everywhere else) but it's very promising.
   My only suggestions would be to read through the text to catch
   those annoying little typographical/grammatical nits, and to get
   that backstory filled in!  I'd also really enjoy seeing more
   about the technology of the ship--do you envision reactionless
   drives, or artificial gravity, or...?  (It looks like you have
   some kind of centrifuge there, at least on Daedalus.)

   Oh, yeah, one more thought:  Naming a ship "Icarus" would be
   a very, very, very bad idea.  "Do I smell...burning wax?" :D

   all best

   LFB