 Space / 1071
    Re: free-for-all in space —Patrick Leahy
   (...) especially (...) that also serves as a heavy warship doesn't need escorts. What a cool idea. Maybe I should build one. Z (24 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.space)

        Re: free-for-all in space —Lindsay Frederick Braun
    (...) Sure! But then it may not be a "freighter" anymore (even if it started out that way). It becomes more like the amphibious assault ships the US Navy uses today--they can carry cargo, and a lot of it, but they also carry a lot of craft and (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.space)

        Re: free-for-all in space —James Powell
   Granted, fighters don't generally mind what the pattern is as long as they can get in and out, and historically they haven't been aboard sea freighters because of the whole runway issue that may be irrelevant to small spacecraft. A fair number of (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.space)

        Re: free-for-all in space —Lindsay Frederick Braun
    (...) Hm...I wasn't aware that had actually been implemented. I knew the option had been studied, but thought it was canned once P-51s and P-47s became available along with "Jeep" carriers (CVEs) for convoy duty. It probably was, but I can see (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jan-00, to lugnet.space)