 Space / 10431
Re: Inspirational pics added to my BShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 02:37:16 GMT

In lugnet.space, Peter Guenther writes:
This brings something else to mind... in '87 or so, I checked out a book,
"EarthBase 2000" or "SpaceBase 3000" (or some permutation of these terms)
that was nothing but spaceship designs, with a cool SF military history
behind them.  I have never been able to find it since.  Does anyone know
what I'm talking about?  It was an 8-1/2x11 TPB and I believe it was printed
right around that time.

yep, got those, i'll 'splain...

there were 2 hardback books published:
SpaceCraft 2000-2100 A.D.
and
Great Space Battles

Stewart Cowley compiled the art by many artists
and added pages and pages of text about the ships
and scenes depicted (most of my attitude about my
lego universe comes from these books), in fact,
these were the ORIGINAL books that started me
collecting space art and sci fi art and artists'
work, et al.

the thing is, I never owned them, a friend did,
and it wasn't until a few years back that I found
both books had been republished in a single large
paperback WHICH I LOVE, called SpaceBase 2000
(ISBN 0-312-74940-6) copyright 1986

here's a link to amazon if u wanna cut and paste:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312749406/qid=997410956/sr=1-1/ref=sc_b_1/002-4892646-7246434

its out of print,
but its worth finding.

-paul