 Robotics / Vision Command / 6
Re: VC use with Macintosh?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:47:44 GMT

VC and Mac:
Don't know! I'm using Windows ME (I hope some answers will pop up here...)

VC and Mindstorms:
The RCX communicates with the camera thru the IR-tower in this way: The camera
is programmed in the VC-application on the PC - your choose a mask for the
camera, and each region in the mask is programmed to react to motion, color,
light.

When starting the program with your definitions on the PC, the VC-application
will download and start a program on the RCX in slot 5.
The only way the camera software can talk to the RCX is by sending messages
thru the IR-tower. It uses message 1 to 8 - one message for each region
defined. (Fx. if region 1 is programmed to react to motion and region 2 is
programmed to react to a red color, the IR-tower will send message(1) to the
RCX when moving in front of the camera and message(2) when showing the red
color to the camera).

The VC-application is polling the RCX each 5 seconds to check that it's alive.
If not, the VC-application on the PC will terminate.

The program in slot 5 has some predefined actions, but you can change those by
making your own program with functions initiated by the messages recieved,
download this program to fx. slot 1, and then (between two pollings from the
VC-application) change the program running on the RCX from the one in slot 5
to the one in slot 1.

Voila!

Greetz from Copenhagen
Soren
http://home14.inet.tele.dk/rolighed

In lugnet.robotics.vc, Brian Johnson writes:
Hello, i don't yet have the Vision Command because i have a Mac. However, i
note that the Vision Command makes use of a USB interface. Has anyone tried
using this camera with the MacOS? Who makes the camera? I was thinking that
perhaps there might be some generic drivers available. Perhaps someway of
using some sort of Apple video software to receive input from the camera?

I guess all this raises the question: Just how is the camera used in the
Mindstorms environment?

Thanks...