 Robotics / Spybotics / 268
Re: Spybot studies: SetTxDirection() confusion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 01:51:09 GMT

John Hansen wrote:
My understanding is that there are multiple IR emitters (which is how a Spybot
can tell the orientation of another Spybot).
How *does* the Spybot know the orientation (the ROM SDK calls it "aspect") of
another Spybot? My (casual) observations indicate that all three emitters are on
simultaneously and synchronously. How does the observing Spybot identify which
one or two emitters are nearest? There must be a unique property for each
emitter. Are they at different frequencies? Do they send an ID with their ping
message? Do they use an artificial Doppler shift?

Trying to determine if the TX_DIRECTION/SERIAL_CHANNEL constants besides 0 and 1
have any meaning, I hypothesized that they had an impact on how the Spybot's
aspect might be interpreted. I was wrong. I tried changing the TX_DIRECTION while
sending mana messages and while pinging. In both cases the Spybot's aspect was
detected the same as when no user program was running.

[shrug]