 Robotics / Spybotics / 252
Re: Spybot studies: photoelectric eye
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:47:47 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.spybotics, Brian B. Alano wrote:
I've started a new project to explore the Spybot's capabilities, (now the John
Hansen has given me access to them ;). I plan to undertake s series of "studies"
which each explore a single feature or function. I'll post then as I go.

This first one doesn't use any of the new Spybot API. Nor is this really special,
and I'm sure someone has done it before.

All you need to compile it in BricxCC is set your brick to Spybot.

I think this is fantastic, Brian.  I look forward to seeing future posts on the
results of your studies.

I am working with Dave Baum to incorporate the new Spybot API features into the
official NQC API.  One aspect of that involves documentation of the new
features.  Hopefully I can find a few folks such as yourself who via their own
exploration of the Spybot brick will be in a position to help document the
various functions and values in the NQC Spybot API.

I'm excited to be actively incorporating additional Spybot features into
BricxCC.  There's so much there I don't fully understand, unfortunately, so it
is slow-going.

One thing in particular that I intend to look into in detail is the ability to
communicate with the Spybot (reliably) using the USB tower.  It looks like I can
send immediate commands and get back valid responses via the USB tower.  I am
able, for instance, to use a new tool window I've added to BricxCC (using
op-code Set Source Value 0x05) to set the Spybot sources and then I can turn
around and watch the values using the old watch window or the customizable watch
window (another new tool window I'm working on).  Similarly, I can use the
direct control window to turn on motors, etc...  Most of the tool windows work
just fine talking to the Spybot via the USB tower.  That means, of course, that
you can read the Spybot light sensor value via BricxCC and you can turn on motor
C without completely messing up your communication with the brick! :-)  The
Memory Map window doesn't work and the Diagnostics window doesn't completely
work right.  It may even be possible to get NQC to download a program to the
Spybot via the USB tower so long as the download block size is no larger than 4
bytes.

Anyway, keep up the good work!  Maybe others will join in.

John Hansen
http://members.aol.com/johnbinder/bricxcc.htm