 Robotics / Scout / 55
  Scout Questions

I have two questions about my new scout: 1) What are the white gears used for? 2) Can anyone point me to sites that feature models, etc for this set? Thanks, Will Lego Beach Department of Emergency Services www.crosswinds.net/~hokie (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.scout)

  Re: Scout Questions

If a gear or wheel gets bound, the clutch in the clutch gear slips and protects the motor form burning out. Dennis (...) -- Dennis Williamson - Certified Y2K Complacent Bad News: The next millenium starts on a Monday. Good News: You get the day off. (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.scout)

  Re: Scout Questions

(...) The white gears are a slip gear. To explain it put one on a motor and make it spin. Now grab on to it and it will stop and turn inside. You will notice that there is still a little tension on the gear. It's great for low torque projects where (...) (24 years ago, 12-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.scout)

  Re: Scout Questions

The others have mentioned the white gear is a clutch gear. I thought I'd throw out a practical use to put it into perspective: it's ideal for a motorized gripper, where you'd want the grip to have some resistance as it closes, but not so much torque (...) (24 years ago, 16-May-00, to lugnet.robotics.scout)