 Robotics / Scout / 58
Re: Scout Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.scout
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 17:38:52 GMT

The others have mentioned the white gear is a clutch gear. I thought I'd
throw out a practical use to put it into perspective: it's ideal for a
motorized gripper, where you'd want the grip to have some resistance as
it closes, but not so much torque that it might break the object its
gripper, or break the gripper mechanism itself.

Just about any two-motor/two-sensor RCX design will also work with the
Scout -- rollers, walkers, etc. The Scout comes with two sets of two
larger wheels that are close to the same width, making a four-wheeled
buggy very easy to construct. This is the basic design outlined in the
Scout's first Constructapedia.

Dean mentioned in his message elsewhere that only NQC can be used to
program the Scout. That's not quite true. LEGO themselves offer a
programming platform called PBrick Assembler. You can download it from
the Mindstorms site. The software is currently in an early testing
phase. Personally, I don't find it as easy to use as NQC. From my
reading of its description, though, it's what LEGO intends to use for
all the programming languages of higher-level Mindstorms products going
forward.

-- Gordon

Will Hess wrote:

I have two questions about my new scout:

1)  What are the white gears used for?
2)  Can anyone point me to sites that feature models, etc for this set?