 Robotics / Scout / 132
Re: Fiber Optics System controlling multiple motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics.scout, lugnet.robotics.microscout
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 00:45:23 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jeffrey Hazen writes:
You can't actually do this the way you describe.  You can't pulse the motor
outputs as required to drive the FOS with the standard firmware.  The FOS
has only one LED, and the VLL signal is a bit more complicated than on/off.
[snip]

Your reply presumes an advanced application with VLL.  Sorry, but my scant
description caused confusion.  My original post intended a more primitive
approach.

Yes, you can really do manual Fiber Optic System control to Scouts and Micro
Scouts as described in http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=3949.  Sorry for
the lack of details, so, let me give you more info, as follows:

Simply use the FOS as you would an ordinary light to trigger the built-in
programs that depend on light sensor input.  On the Scout you select the
Stand-Alone mode, not the Power mode.  You select options from the Light
group on the Scout's display panel.  The Scout's light sensor rules depend
on light sensor input.   On the Micro Scout you use only programs 3-7, not
the P program.  You select the program on the Micro Scout's display.  The
Micro Scout's programs 3-7 depend on light sensor input, 1-2 do not.

You would not rapidly rotate the FOS to create the light pulses.  Instead,
you would slowly rotate the FOS to select one of the 8 LED's and its
companion fiber optic cable to either one Scout or one Micro Scout.

Pulsing the light can come from either:  1) Rotating to a LED position, then
pressing a button on the battery box, or  2) Rotating to a position between
2 LED's, then sending power to the FOS, then rotating  20-25 degrees
(360/8/2) to one of the adjacent LED's.

Example 1:   The slight flexibility of a long FOS rotation axle could engage
a battery box button when you rotate to a LED then press down.

Example 2:  The FOS rotation axle could allow selection of one of 8
positions = LED angle minus 22 degrees when rotated in one direction then
engage a ratchet when rotated in the opposite direction to throw a polarity
switch and allow a limited continued rotation of 22 degrees to position the
FOS rotary on the LED's illumination position.

The FOS manual light pulses can activate the built-in programs just like a
hand-held flashlight.  The improved manual control especially helps with the
built-in programs that require multiple flashes of light to the light
sensors.  The most basic built-in programs simply start and stop motors.
More complex built-in Scout programs can also respond to touch sensors.

This application demonstrates a non-VLL way to play with the Scout or Micro
Scout, either individually or in a herd of up to 8 connected to one Fiber
Optics System (8 LED's + 8 fiber optic cables).  Primarily addressing
Technic builders, my original post intended to propose a Technic &
Mindstorms application that does not require a PC, programming, or
downloading firmware.

My apologies for my confusing original post, above.  Since the application
does not use VLL, it does not belong in lugnet.robotics.vll.  Inherently
slow manual pulsing cannot create VLL commands from a FOS to a Micro Scout.
For that reason we do not select the Micro Scout's P program, i.e., the mode
that accepts VLL commands created by other means.