 Robotics / Scout / 13
Re: Scout SDK
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.scout
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 09:36:11 GMT

Luis Villa wrote:
Very importantly for me, though- has anyone tried to make
ScoutDOS.exe work under dosemu (www.dosemu.org)?

I don't use Linux but if dosemu properly emulates the serial port I
don't see why this wouldn't work.

Also, how much memory are we looking at on the scout?

The Scout can hold one user program in RAM and it must fit into about
400 bytes. This may not sound like much but most Scout actions can be
called from subroutines stored in ROM making the user code smaller. I
have found that the RAM space provided is adequate. The example code
number six that comes with the Scout SDK is a full featured Proximity
Sensor program and the translated code is only 261 bytes.

I'm curious if anything really interesting (program-wise) can
be done with the Scout.

It is not only interesting but also has some abilities that the RCX does
not. For example: task priority setting, VLL output, and LEGO Remote
Control output that can override running programs on other Scout or RCX
bricks.

Robert Eddings