 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 429
RE: roboball
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:40:41 GMT

Hi Mr Soh,

Thank you very much for your input.
Would you share your experience and views regarding tackling roboball with
the LEGO RCX and light sensors, without other soldering electronic
components.  I have a bunch bright young 11-14 kids, I want them to tackle
this project.  Meanwhile, I would like to have a good idea how well the LEGO
light sensor can intercept the light from the roboball.  What is the
reasonable distance? I am going to test it myself sometime this week.  Hope
I will gather more input ahead from you experts out there.
--
Elizabeth Mabrey

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com
[mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf Of Chio Siong Soh
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:08 AM
To: lugnet.robotics.rcx@lugnet.com;
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: roboball

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Elizabeth Mabrey wrote:
I got a roboball and wished to test it out for my group of • kids to do
a soccer game.  When I first received it, one light bulb • was lit.  I
tested it with the lego light sensor, but no reading.  Then • I connected it to a 9v .
Unfortunately, now, the light no  longer lit up. Any • suggestion will
be greatly appreciated!

Hi there and welcome to the world of RoboSoccer,

It appears you have the Wiltronics (Australia) roboball which
looks like this
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/cssoh/RoboSoccer/Robo-ball/
ball-wiltronicsp9030274.jpg>

There is another type by EK (Japan) that looks like this
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/cssoh/RoboSoccer/Robo-ball/
movit-ballp9030272.jpg>

The Wiltronics roboball has a built-in 9v rechargeable
battery and a socket to which an external cable is attached
for charging. The socket and the cable also acts as a switch
for the roboball. When the cable is removed from the socket,
the ball is turned on and a red led lights up to show that
the ball is active.
The charging cable should be kept plugged in when the ball is
not actually in use.

Before you use the ball for the first time, you will need to
fully charge it, that's about 17 hours using standard 9v
charger. The ball is good for about 50 mins use after a full
charge. Towards the end of use, the red led may be dimmed but
the ball is still useful.

Some pics of robosoccer players are here for your enjoyment.
They come in two varieties - LEGO (Denmark) and MOVIT (Japan).
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=132880>

Btw, I should let you know that soccer is our national
spectator sport. Yeah, we watch more than we play :-). So it
should be no surprise that Robosoccer is also popular here
(Singapore). I guess for you, it's baseball?

CS