 Robotics / RCX / 2661
Re: roboball
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 04:07:55 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Elizabeth Mabrey wrote:
I got a roboball and wished to test it out for my group of kids to do a
soccer game.  When I first received it, one light bulb was lit.  I tested it
with the lego light sensor, but no reading.  Then I connected it to a 9v .
Unfortunately, now, the light no  longer lit up. Any suggestion will be
greatly appreciated!

Hi there and welcome to the world of RoboSoccer,

It appears you have the Wiltronics (Australia) roboball which looks like this
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/cssoh/RoboSoccer/Robo-ball/ball-wiltronicsp9030274.jpg>

There is another type by EK (Japan) that looks like this
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/cssoh/RoboSoccer/Robo-ball/movit-ballp9030272.jpg>

The Wiltronics roboball has a built-in 9v rechargeable battery and a socket to
which an external cable is attached for charging. The socket and the cable also
acts as a switch for the roboball. When the cable is removed from the socket,
the ball is turned on and a red led lights up to show that the ball is active.
The charging cable should be kept plugged in when the ball is not actually in
use.

Before you use the ball for the first time, you will need to fully charge it,
that's about 17 hours using standard 9v charger. The ball is good for about 50
mins use after a full charge. Towards the end of use, the red led may be dimmed
but the ball is still useful.

Some pics of robosoccer players are here for your enjoyment. They come in two
varieties - LEGO (Denmark) and MOVIT (Japan).
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=132880>

Btw, I should let you know that soccer is our national spectator sport. Yeah, we
watch more than we play :-). So it should be no surprise that Robosoccer is also
popular here (Singapore). I guess for you, it's baseball?

CS