 Robotics / RCX / 2660
Re: roboball
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:38:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Elizabeth Mabrey wrote:
Hi,

I got a roboball and wished to test it out for my group of kids to do a
soccer game.  When I first received it, one light bulb was lit.  I tested it
with the lego light sensor, but no reading.  Then I connected it to a 9v .
Unfortunately, now, the light no  longer lit up. Any suggestion will be
greatly appreciated!

--thanks,
Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

The red LED serves only as an on/off indicator.  And, as it only functions when
the battery is fully charged, it is not a very good one.  The rest of the LED's
are infrared and invisible to the naked eye.  One way to "see" the light is to
use a video camera w/night vision capabilities--I've used a cheap Sony that can
see in the near infrared.  A much more spectacular demo is to get a pair of
night vision goggles and use the ball to light an otherwise dark room.

I'm not sure why the light sensor didn't detect the ball but I'd try again.  The
balls are BRIGHT.

Also, there is circuitry inside the ball that can prevent some chargers from
working.

Good luck,

Tom