 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 97
RE: Assembly tool?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 13:33:20 GMT

John wrote:

Ah, in that case you will need my pbFORTH IDE and downloader, which is not on the
drawing board yet, but just a wishlist:

o      filter out ddoouubbllee letters, use echo to check

o      fast download, skipping comments and compressing whitespace, macro
expansion?

o      keep link alive during debugging RCX (otherwise tower times out)

o      log all on-the-fly definitions to allow progress to be captured

o      Fix firmware download problems nqc -firmware is a bit flakey on NT (at
least on my hardware)

John,

Are you thinking of doing this in TclTk as discussed before? If so, why don't
we collaborate a bit...I've done a serial handler in TclTk for a proprietary
RS485 network at 9600 baud. At 2400 baud, I'm sure I could do the same.

Your whitepace parser and comment remover is a great idea, and I can think
of a few others., such as a built in database of common definitions for
words that can be used. The shell would scan your code for things it needs and
pull them out of the code base.

I can work on the serial driver (it has to be 1 char at a time). The only thing
is that there is not yet a Tcl serial driver for the Mac!!!!

The new 8.1 Tck from <http://www.scriptics.com> has a non-greedy regular expression
engine option, which makes comment stripping way easier.

Just a few thoughts...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.bmts.com/~rhempel/lego/pbFORTH/default.html>